New York Bike Style
New York Bike Style, photographed by Sam Polcer and published by Prestel, is packed full of colorful photos of equally colorful New Yorkers with their bikes. What separates the work from countless other street-style projects is yes, the bikes, but also the fact that most everyone looks genuinely happy—Polcer even managed to get some guys from the Black Label Bike Club to look friendly and approachable.
1. Quaddafi rides a custom single-speed tall bike photographed at Hudson St. and West 13th St., Manhattan, going to Pastis.
2. Brian (with Fritz and Gromit) rides a Bullitt 11-speed cargo bike from Copenhagen photographed on North 6th st. and Wythe Ave., Brooklyn, cruising around Williamsburg.
3. Tania and Andre riding a mutant tandem bike. Photographed at Charles Pl. and Myrtle Ave., Brooklyn, hanging out at the Black Label Bicycle Club BBQ at Coast Cycles.
4. Siobhan and Freya ride an Austro-Daimler Puch 10-speed bicycle photographed at Dean St. and Grand Ave., Brooklyn, en route to Prospect Park.
5. Roberto rides a 1952 Schwinn Black Phantom photographed at Harman St. and Irving Ave., Brooklyn, hanging out at the Puerto Rico Schwinn Club headquarters.
6. Sheryl rides a Brooklyn Cruiser 3-speed bicycle photographed on Jacob Riis Park Promenade, Queens, hanging out on the beach at Jacob Riis Park.
7. George rides a Brooklyn Bicylce Co. Driggs III 3-speed bike photographed at Crosby St. and Grand St., Manhattan, going to meet a client in SoHo.
8. Michael, Gabrielle, Tank & Larry ride borrowed bikes photographed on Williamsburg St. West, Brooklyn, en route to Prospect Park.
9. Sam rides a Giordano fixed gear bicycle photographed at Front St. and York St., Brooklyn, en route to Burger Smash for lunch.
10. Chandra rides a Surly Steamroller fixed gear bike photographed at Doyer St. and Pell St., Manhattan, going to buy thread at Oshman.